Poor Chalky was out pottering in the garden, when he suddenly screamed and started licking his back right paw frantically. Soon after he became floppy and lethargic so his owners brought him straight down to see us. Chalky was pale and weak, and given the circumstances it looked as though he was suffering from anaphylactic shock from a bee or wasp sting. We could see bruising on his pad too where we suspected he had been stung. We gave him oxygen and steroids and monitored him closely, and fortunately it wasn’t long before the 5 month old jackapoo perked up and was much brighter. Now that summer’s here, the stingers are out! If your pet is stung, apply a cold compress to the area. In the case of any stings to the mouth or if any swelling or allergic reaction occurs, seek veterinary attention.