Chocolate warning when gifting!

This is poor cockerpoo Reggie who came in to see us yesterday as he had discovered yummy chocolates under the Christmas tree and proceeded to eat the whole box! Unfortunately, theobromine in chocolate is toxic to dogs and the higher the cocoa content the more toxic the chocolate. Theobromine can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, and if ingested in high doses can even be fatal.

We needed to make Reggie sick, and here he is with one of our team’s hair scrunchies keeping his ears back. Please ask Santa to keep chocolate well out of the way when making his deliveries! And if you are gifting chocolate to someone who has a pet, please let them know so they can keep gifts out of sniffing distance from inquisitive noses.

We have a poisons guide on our website which can help you to determine if your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t and whether you need to contact a vet urgently. However, if in any doubt please always seek veterinary advice.

Categories: News
Published: 23, Dec, 2022