Easter dangers!

With the long Easter weekend just a couple of days away, it’s nearly time to indulge in the seasonal foods we normally associate with this time of year – if we haven’t started already! However, many Easter treats, whilst delicious to us, are poisonous to our pets. Chocolate is a common pet poison, and the higher the cocoa content, the greater the danger. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine which our pet’s bodies are unable to process. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, rapid breathing, loss in coordination and seizures. If your pet has eaten chocolate please give us a ring or refer to our new interactive poisons guide under the factsheet section on our website to see if your pet needs to come down for treatment.

Raisins, currants and sultanas, a typical ingredient of Easter bakes, are also around in abundance at this time of year and can cause kidney failure in dogs (as can grapes). It’s not known how many any one dog needs to eat before they become ill. Quantities vary from dog to dog and for some it only takes a few to be affected. Please seek veterinary advice if your dog has indulged.

If you’re worried your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have, you can check whether it’s poisonous using the poisons guide on our website. Answer a few questions to determine whether it’s nothing to worry about or something that requires prompt action. If you’re ever in any doubt, it’s always best to give us a call on 01922 411755.

Categories: News
Published: 31, Mar, 2021