It’s only a fortnight until Easter which means many of us will be indulging in lots of yummy seasonal treats including Easter eggs. And some of us a little earlier than others! Please remember to keep tasty goodies well away from pets. Theobromine in chocolate is poisonous to dogs, cats and rabbits and the darker the chocolate, the greater the toxicity. Symptoms can include vomiting, a runny tummy, restlessness and drinking more, and in more serious cases can lead to fast breathing, increased heart rate and seizures. If you are worried your pet has consumed chocolate, check the poisons guide on our website for guidance. If in any doubt, do call and speak to one of our team.

Hot cross buns and fruit and marzipan cake are other Easter treats to watch out for. Grapes, fresh or dried (currants, sultanas and raisins), are very dangerous to dogs and can cause kidney failure and even death. The toxic dose varies from dog to dog, but some dogs can become gravely ill after ingesting only a very small amount. Immediate veterinary treatment is essential to prevent serious repercussions.

Monty, Mabel and Margo came in to see us last week having managed to get hold of a leftover Christmas pudding tucked up on a work surface while their mum had briefly nipped out. It was impossible to know which dog was the culprit as they were all together when mum came home, so they all needed to come in to be made sick. Turns out they were all partners in crime! No more sneaky snacking please pups!

Categories: News
Published: 23, Mar, 2023