Beware when gifting chocolate

Please do let dog owners know if you are giving them chocolate as a gift this Christmas so they can store presents safely out of reach of any dogs. Bailey came in to see us after he had eaten 300g of rum and raisin dark chocolate that he had sniffed out and managed to unwrap! Thanks to the prompt action of the cockerpoo’s owners, we were able to make Bailey sick, and thankfully he has suffered no subsequent ill effects.

Chocolate contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs and can make them very unwell. The darker and purer the chocolate, the higher the level of theobromine and the more dangerous it is to dogs, but it’s found in milk chocolate too. Symptoms of dog chocolate poisoning can include vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, rapid breathing, seizures and loss of coordination and it can affect the heart, lungs, kidneys and nervous system. Effects will vary depending on size and breed of dog and the quantity and type of chocolate consumed.

If your dog has eaten chocolate, you can use the symptom checker on our website and answer a series of questions to see whether your dog needs to see a vet urgently. However, if in any doubt, please call us directly on 01922 411755.

Categories: News
Published: 22, Dec, 2021